Our Core Values
The Deerfield community is one that truly cares about all students, families, and staff members. We strive to align our actions and behaviors with the following core values: Cooperation, Academic Excellence, Acceptance, Respect, Responsibility, and Effort. Forming the acronym CARE, our core values help us create an environment in which all students can learn and grow.
Dear Deerfield Staff and Families,
Happy New Year to you all! I hope the winter vacation offered you some much-deserved time to relax and enjoy the company of your family and friends. While I know starting back to school after a long break can be difficult, everyone did a great job of settling back in last Thursday and Friday. I enjoyed hearing about how our students and staff members spent their time over the winter vacation and look forward to the six weeks ahead before our February break.
In the coming months, students will participate in the Same and Different Like Me, Understanding Our Differences program. The vision of this program is to provide meaningful experiences related to our individual differences to create an environment that promotes awareness, increases knowledge, and builds acceptance for all.
The goals of the program are:
- Awareness: To build disability awareness into the school curricula through active learning experiences.
- Knowledge: To increase knowledge and decrease misconceptions about people living with disabilities.
- Acceptance: To foster acceptance, respect, and positive attitudes towards people living with disabilities in the school and community.
Teachers across the district use the same lessons and lessons are team-taught by special education, specialists, and classroom teachers. Below are the grade level topics.
- Kindergarten: Including one another
- 1st grade: Physical disabilities
- 2nd grade: Sensory disabilities (hearing and vision)
- 3rd grade: Cognitive disabilities
- 4th grade: Specific Learning disabilities and AD(H)D
- 5th grade: Autism and mental health topics
We encourage you to talk to your child about their learning on these topics. If you have questions about the program, please feel free to contact your child’s classroom teacher or our Director of Health and Wellness, Mr. Chant.
Thank you so much,
Deerfield Elementary School
72 Deerfield Avenue
Westwood, MA 02090
Please be advised that the Massachusetts Attorney General has determined that email is a public record.
We would like to officially welcome you to the 2019 - 2020 School Year!
Be on the lookout for your Deerfield PTO Welcome Packet, which is mailed home in late August.
The Welcome Packet includes lots of useful information about the PTO, including:
- A listing of your PTO Board Members
- A Tentative Calendar of PTO Events
- A Financial Snapshot from the 2018-19 School Year
- Your PTO Family Information and Dues Form (Due September 13th)
An electronic version of these documents can be found in the Digital Backpack section of our new AtoZ Connect Online Portal.
We are looking forward to another wonderful school year together!
Our first meeting of the school year is scheduled for Wednesday, October 23 at 7:00 pm. Please join us in the Deerfield Gym for this meeting. All are welcome. Hope to see you there!
To learn more about your PTO, please visit the PTO section of the website and join the Deerfield PTO Facebook Group (for members of the Deerfield Community only).
Email us at DeerfieldPTO@westwood.k12.ma.us.