Our Core Values
The Deerfield community is one that truly cares about all students, families, and staff members. We strive to align our actions and behaviors with the following core values: Cooperation, Academic Excellence, Acceptance, Respect, Responsibility, and Effort. Forming the acronym CARE, our core values help us create an environment in which all students can learn and grow.
Joshua C. Baumer, Principal
Dear Deerfield Families and Staff,
I hope you are all enjoying this beautiful fall weather we are having!
As we near the end of the 2016-2017 school year, I am finding time to reflect on the work we have done this year and the areas of focus for work we will engage in during the 2017-2018 school year.
At the beginning of this school year, I shared that one of our main areas of focus would be clearly defining the behavioral standards we hold for ourselves as a community. Our Deerfield Core Values: Cooperation, Academic Excellence, Acceptance, Respect, Responsibility, and Effort convey the importance of both personal behavior and the need to consider the needs of others in our actions. From these Core Values, I have drafted a collection of Community Standards that help to define what these Core Values look like when we are truly living them as a community.
Here are links to the three documents that I drafted last summer and shared with the Deerfield community this fall related to this work:
During the 2017-2018 school year, we will continue our work toward the goal of maintaining and strengthening a school environment in which all students are safe and all students can learn. I look forward to sharing the plan for this work with the Deerfield community in the fall. I thank you in advance for your continued partnership in keeping Deerfield a special place where all students can learn and grow.
Thank you so much,
Deerfield Elementary School
72 Deerfield Avenue
Westwood, MA 02090
We would like to officially welcome you to the 2017-18 School Year!
During the last week of August, your Deerfield PTO Welcome Packets are mailed home.
The Welcome Packet includes lots of useful info about your PTO including:
- Your PTO Mission Statement
- A listing of your PTO Board Members and Parent Reps
- Meeting Dates
- Tentative Calendar of PTO Events
- A breakdown of PTO Per Pupil Spending & Funding Sources
- A Financial Snapshot of the 2016-17 School Year
- Your PTO Membership Form (Due September 15th)
To access an electronic version of these documents, click HERE.
We are looking forward to another wonderful school year together!
We have two 1-Time volunteer opportunities coming up. Shifts are all under 1.5 hours on a given day.
- Welcome Back Picnic: 9/8
- School Picture Day: 9/14
To learn more about all our upcoming 1-Time event volunteer opportunities, click the button below.
Our first meeting for the school year is on Wednesday, October 4 at 7:00 pm. Please join us in the Deerfield Gym to learn more about:
- Welcome back & updates from Mr. Baumer
- Review and approval of 2017-18 PTO Budget and Special Initiatives
- Updates on ongoing PTO Initiatives including: Enrichment, Mini Courses, SCRIPs, Original Works and more!
Hope to see you there!
We are currently seeking nominations to fill one remaining board vacancy. In order to keep your PTO running smoothly and hitting its goals to support our kids, we need to fill this vacancy:
- Connect with parents who express interest in volunteer opportunities on their PTO membership form to help them find a position that best fits their skills and situation
- Create and update online signups to support Committee Chairs with committee and event volunteer recruitment
- Lead volunteer recognition and appreciation
- Shadow and assist the current Volunteer Coordinator to learn the ropes for year 2 of term
If you are interested in learning more about one of this position, please email us at DeerfieldPTO@westwood.k12.ma.us or reach out to a member of the board.
The Board of Directors provides the leadership and management to ensure that the PTO consistently achieves its goals and that it remains financially solvent. The Board of Directors is comprised of parent volunteers in the following positions:
- 2 Co-Chairs (First and Second-Year Chair)
- 1 Treasurer (plus an Treasurer-in-Training as necessary)
- 2 Secretaries (Communications & Recording)
- 2 Volunteer Coordinators (Lead & Assistant)
Members of the Board of Directors serve a two-year term with the terms of volunteers in each function overlapping by 1 year. For example, in any given year, the board will have one Chair in the second year of his/her tenure and another in his/her first year. Terms run July 1-June 30.
For a full description of the Executive Board including specific job descriptions, please click here. If you have more questions feel free to reach out to a current member of the board or one of your parent reps. We hope that many members of the Deerfield community will consider being part of this rewarding experience.
To learn more about your PTO, please visit our Welcome Packet and the PTO section of the website which includes information about how to Get Involved, Keep In Touch, and Support Your PTO.
Email us at DeerfieldPTO@westwood.k12.ma.us.