Westwood Public School
Professional Development Mission Statement
Professional development in the Westwood Public Schools is designed to provide and support the continuous professional growth and development of all staff. Professional Development supports the goals of the district, the building, and the individual educator.
Professional Development District Goals 2012-2013
- Teachers in all subject areas will increase and update their knowledge of the content and skills they teach and instructional pedagogy, with particular focus on the transition to the Common Core standards.
- Teachers will engage in professional development activities related to specifically documented student needs to ensure the continuous improvement of student achievement.
- Teachers will become skilled in the use of formative and summative classroom assessments to determine students’ learning needs and will collaborate with colleagues and administrators to share knowledge and strategies to meet students’ needs.
- Teachers will engage in the cycle of review, development and implementation of curriculum established by Westwood’s Curriculum Review Cycle.
- Teachers will work toward successfully differentiating instruction to meet the needs of all learners in an inclusive setting.
- Teachers will acquire the necessary skills to effectively teach and learn in a technology-rich environment.
- Administrators will participate in professional development activities which support the professional development goals of the district; which result in the continuous improvement of student achievement, and a more effective, efficient school administration.