Downey School Core Values
Welcome to the Downey Elementary School! Our school is an inclusive K-5 building that provides an excellent education to all students. At Downey School we believe that learning is a partnership between the child, parent/guardian, and Downey School professionals. As a staff, we believe that open and honest communication with parents/guardians is important, and we value the input from parents/guardians. To ensure that Downey School is a safe environment for all students and staff to take academic/professional risks, we live by the 6 Downey School Core Values:
Courage, Pride, Excellence, Respect, Responsibility, Inclusion
September 23, 2020
Dear Downey Community,
It’s week 2 and we are still in the hybrid model, great news! Thank you for your continued support, this is important so we can maintain our hybrid model and not go fully remote. Your children have been rock stars, keeping their masks on, following the new guidelines, and working hard. It’s obvious that you spent time preparing them for the return to school, and I thank you for that! Below is some useful information regarding Remote Learning and Arrival/ Dismissal. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions. I can be reached via email at email@example.com or telephone at 781-326-7500x8386.
Remote Learning Day Tips for Parents:
1. When the teacher assigns students to work independently or to take a break, set a timer for their return time so your child isn’t late for class.
2. It is helpful when students are set up on zoom in a place away from their toys, TV, etc. It's just too tempting for them!
3. Please make sure you have your student’s name in their zoom box so their teacher can easily identify them.
Please enter the driveway by taking a RIGHT at the tennis courts. If you are traveling down Downey Street on your way to school, continue down Downey Street and make a u-turn at Hawktree Drive. ONLY vans and buses will turn left into the driveway in the morning.
If someone other than the parent/guardian is picking up the student please inform that person about the dismissal procedure.
Fast Lane (Car Pick Up Line):
1. Download the School Dismissal Manager app onto your phone.
2. Start the line in front of the tennis courts.
3. As you enter the driveway, have your School Dismissal Manager app open, click on the bar that says, “Scan using QR code” (if you scan this way you should not have to use your 6 digit FastLane Code).
4. Place a sign in your front windshield with the following information: Student’s first and last name and 6 digit Fast Lane Code.
5. If you are picking up another child in addition to your own, please have their 6 digit Fast Lane Code as well.
6. Please reach out to Diane Carde if you are having issues with the SDM app, she will help you to problem solve. Diane can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please know that once your QR code has been scanned, your child’s classroom teacher will be alerted and will send your child outside to be picked up. When there are issues with scanning the QR code it results in a back up in the fast lane line.
Walker Line: Students are picked up from the gym door
The intent of this line is for students and families who are walking or biking to school. Students who are being picked up in a car should be in the Fast Lane.
PTO Updates & Information: 2019
Minutes from the September 11, 2018, PTO Meeting
Minutes from the October 2, 2018, PTO meeting
Minutes from the November 6, 2018, PTO meeting
Minutes from the December 5, 2018, PTO meeting
Minutes from the February 5, 2019, PTO meeting
Minutes from the March 5, 2019, PTO meeting
Minutes from April 22, 2019, PTO meeting
Minutes from the May 7, 2019, PTO meeting
Minutes from the June 4, 2019, PTO meeting
Shop with Amazon and help support Downey! Please consider using our Amazon Smile link to make your Amazon purchases. The Amazon Smile Foundation will contribute 0.5% of eligible purchases back to the Downey School. It's an easy way to support our school and our students!
Downey Gift Book Program
The Gift Book Program continues and is an exciting way for your child to contribute to the school library!
For all purchases made through this link, your child's name will be placed on a label on the inside cover of the book and they will be the first to read the book; all before the book is placed on the shelf in the Downey School library to then be shared by all students.