Hanlon Core Values
Welcome to the Paul R. Hanlon School, a K-5 elementary school where we strive to foster the best possible environment for teaching and learning. At Hanlon, we celebrate and honor the similarities and differences of individual students while building a learning community where children feel safe, known, and challenged. The Hanlon staff is committed to seeking continuous improvement, supporting high expectations, and providing challenging learning experiences that facilitate each child's cognitive, social, emotional, and physical growth. We value collaboration, perseverance, and risk-taking. We encourage all children to give their best, and to view their mistakes as learning experiences that build character and resiliency. Our core values guide how the Hanlon community learns, works, and plays together.
THE HANLON SCHOOL’S CORE VALUES
Achieve academic success in a safe and nurturing environment
Develop knowledge and understanding through exploration and discovery
Demonstrate effort, pride, respect and responsibility
Translate / Traducir / 翻译 / ترجمة / Þýða
On behalf of the Hanlon School community, it is my pleasure to welcome you and your family to the 2022-2023 School Year. I want to highlight some key information as we begin the school year.
WPS Calendar and School Day Hours:
- The 2022-2023 school calendar is available on the district website.
- School Day Hours: 8:50am - 3:10pm
- Morning Arrival: 8:30am - 8:50am
- Dismissal: 3:10pm (11:50am on early-release Wednesdays)
Schedule for the Start of School
- Wednesday, August 24 (10:30am-11:30am) - Popsicle social at Hanlon Playground for incoming Kindergarten students. It’s an opportunity to get acquainted with the school and meet Mr. Kuklentz.
- Wednesday, August 31
- First day of school for students in grades 1-5
- Open House for Kindergarten, 9:00am-11:00am
- Wednesday, August 31 (11:30am-12:30pm) - PTO sponsored event, School Street Playground, Kindergarten Meet and Greet
- Thursday, September 1
- Full day of school for students in grades 1-5
- Transition day for kindergarten students, 8:50am-11:50am.
- Friday, September 2 & Monday, September 5 - No school.
- Tuesday, September 6 - Kindergarten students begin full-day.
- Sunday, September 11 (4:00pm-6:00pm) - Westwood Welcome Club event at Hale Education (80 Carby St., Westwood). The event will be a chance to meet and get to know other Boston and Westwood Welcome Club families, and play some fun games and activities led by Hale staff. Water and popsicles will be provided. We will not have access to the pond for swimming. Please RSVP here.
- Tuesday, September 13 (5:30pm)- PTO sponsored Back to School Picnic (rain date Thursday, September 15 5:30pm)
- Thursday, September 22 - Hanlon School Curriculum Night: This is always an exciting night for parents, as teachers will provide an overview of the curriculum, routines, expectations, and learning experiences your children will have this year. Stay tuned for more information.
- Monday, September 26 - No school.
- Wednesday, September 28 - Early Release, Dismissal at 11:50am. Westwood Public Schools schedules approximately two half-days (11:50am dismissal) on Wednesdays each month for staff professional development. Please refer to the WPS district calendar for additional dates.
- Wednesday, October 5 - No School
- Monday, October 10 - No School
- Wednesday, October 12 - Early Release, Dismissal at 11:50am.
- Monday, October 17 - Picture Day - Information on school pictures will be sent home in backpacks.
- Wednesday, October 26 - Early Release, Dismissal at 11:50am.
Hanlon Classroom Teachers for the 2022-2023 School Year:
- Kindergarten: Ms. Beth Kelly and Ms. Erin Kelly
- Grade 1: Ms. Elizabeth O’Neil and Ms. Valerie Sharpe
- Grade 2: Ms. Rena Rizzi and Ms. Jen Stygles
- Grade 3: Ms. Laura Cavanagh and Mr. Jeremy Wolfe
- Grade 4: Ms. Stephanie Feuer-Beck and Ms. Jessica Tartufo
- Grade 5: Ms. Katie Ennis and Ms. Kim Pestana
Construction - It is exciting that construction of the new Hanlon-Deerfield school has begun. Over the course of the spring and summer, I have worked closely with the project’s design team and our Owner’s Project Manager (OPM) to understand the project's impact on the operation of Hanlon during the construction phase. All involved are mindful that school will be in session in the current Hanlon building throughout the project, and we will do our best to navigate the situation with as little impact as possible.
With a project of this nature, some impact to the Hanlon community is unavoidable. Most notably for the Hanlon School community, the construction area will include a significant portion of our playing fields, including the baseball diamond. This area will be enclosed within the construction fence and will no longer be accessible to students or the public. Fortunately, we will continue to have access to the playground and the basketball court throughout the construction phase. The impact to the number of parking spaces will be minimal and pickup and drop off routes will remain the same. While there may be vehicles leaving the staging area (baseball diamond) during the day, the gates will be closed both during drop off and pick up.
Health Office- All health records need to be delivered to Nurse Eileen Galvin at Hanlon before the start of school. Children are not allowed to attend school unless all health records have been submitted.
Lunch- School Lunch will be free to all students for the 2022-2023 School Year. However, school lunches need to be ordered online prior to the start of the school day. For information on the lunch options and ordering school lunches, please visit the Westwood Public Schools Food Service Information Page.
If you have any questions, please contact the Hanlon school office at 781 326 7500 xt. 7521
Board Member/Volunteer Position/Hanlon Connection
- Carolyn Miazga, President, Mom to a fourth grader and first grader
- Megan Dewey, Treasurer, Mom to a third grader and first grader
- Kristen Dooher, Secretary, Mom to a second grader
- Kelly Lloyd, Event Co-Chair, Mom to a third grader
- Kate Scales, Event Co-Chair, Mom to a third grader and first grader
- Sarah Spinello, Communication Co-Chair, Mom to a Kindergartner
- Daniele Fay, Communication Co-Chair, Mom to a Kindergartner
- Mandy Taft-Pearman, Diversity and Inclusion Chair and Welcome Club Chair, Mom to fifth graders
- Lauren Fortin, Special Education Chair (SEPAC), Mom to a third grader
CONNECT WITH US
(*New to Instagram? Keep an eye on the Digital Backpack for some helpful tips and instructions)
PTO Meetings 20-21 All meetings take place virtually at 7PM
October 14th: Open Meeting
January 13th: Open meeting
March 10th: Open meeting
May 12th: Open meeting
Support Hanlon School with every purchase
AmazonSmile is a simple, automatic way for you to support the Hanlon PTO every time you shop, at no cost to you.
You will find the exact same prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to the Hanlon PTO. Just log onto smile.amazon.com, choose Hanlon PTO as your charity of choice and shop away!
Amazon shopping with an iPhone?
You can use AmazonSmile just like an App by following a few simple steps. Open smile.amazon.com in your browser, tap the “share/forward link” button then tap the “Add to Home Screen” icon (you may need to swipe left to see this). You will now have an AmazonSmile icon which can be used in exactly the same way as the Amazon App but now all of your purchases support the Hanlon PTO.